Photos by G.
It’s no secret that I love the Toronto-based dance/punk band Young Empires. I’ve been fortunate enough to catch each of their Manhattan shows over the last couple of years including their smoking hot performance at Mercury Lounge on March 1, 2012. If you weren’t there last night, I hate to break it to you, but you missed out on a great time.
Here’s 10 reasons you should never miss one of their shows.
1. Young Empires’ debut EP “Wake All My Youth” has 7 great dance tracks with not one bad song in the lot.
2. They’ve recently added a new member to the band – drummer Taylor Hill and his live drumming adds a new layer of funk to their already funky sound.
3. Spiritual guru Deepak Chopra is a fan (and Young Empires will be performing at the Chopra Foundation on March 5, 2012)!
4. Their entire 45 minute set is a non-stop dance party.
5. In terms of good looks, Young Empires are in a tight race with Foster the People to be the best looking dance band in music today.
6. All of their songs are catchy with infectious choruses that will stay with you long after the show is over.
7. New York – you can catch them live tonight (March 2, 2012) at Glasslands in Brooklyn (and they’ll also be performing at South By Southwest, so don’t miss out Texas!)
8. Have I mentioned how great “Wake All My Youth” is? Well, I am saying it twice because I love it that much!
9. After their set was over, the crowd refused to accept it and was literally begging for them to play more songs. That’s a site, I’ve rarely seen (and I see hundreds of bands a year!)
10. They are so nice to talk to, so make sure you chat with them after their set blows your mind!
Thanks again Young Empires for a great night! See you soon!!!
See the set list after the jump. Read more of this article »