2010 has been one of the most amazing years of my life. It’s also been one of the most stressful. I’ve written close to 1700 posts in 2010 which equates to attending, photographing, videoing and writing about approximately 5 events a day, 7 days a week. The next time you read one of your favorite sites, think about the fact that those websites have teams in place to bring you “the news” and more often than not, all they’ve done is reposted pictures, stories and insights from other sources and STILL don’t provide as much information as this site! I thank you all so much for coming back to this site daily and for telling all of your friends. It’s very rewarding to me when I get recognized on the street and have someone tell me that they discovered one of their favorite artists because of this site. In 2010, I’ve seen so many amazing things in the realms of art and music, I’ve met so many interesting people (celebrities, rock stars, artists and people just like you and me) and I’ve had a lot of wacky experiences. Putting together a list of the top 10 experiences I’ve had has been a very challenging task, but as long as you all keep reading, I promise to keep on challenging myself to make each and every day better than the one before. I advise you to do the same!
And now with no further delay, my top experiences of 2010.
1. Becoming an uncle! As you can see below, Jaden is the cutest baby on earth.
2. Being in a music video! I’m in Spoon’s video for “Nobody Gets Me But You.”
3. Becoming art! I participated in an art installation by Olek (performing a Yoko Ono piece).
4. Meeting Lady Gaga.
I’m not even the biggest fan of Lady Gaga, but considering she’s the biggest star in the world in 2010, in a crowd of 500 people, she stood outside and met fans for at least 20 minutes! That’s class, according2g.
5. Beyond The Street New York book launch. In the span of 2 hours, I met about 20 artists that I love and admire and ALL of them were extremely nice. A few of them even recognized me from my blog and to this day, I am not over it. The book is an encyclopedia of great photos, information and interviews with some of the world’s best urban artists. I highly recommend this book!
6. Appearing on D-Listed’s website. I have loved that site for such a long time and when I saw that they linked to one of my articles, it was so awesome! I feel that this was the day that I was “put on the map.” My readership increased tremendously and on a personal level, it made me realize that I am writing about topics that people really want to know about. Since then, my articles have appeared on so many of my favorite sites including Brooklyn Vegan, Dr. Funkenberry, The Worley Gig, Happy Famous Artists, and I am grateful to all of these sites for their support. That night, I emailed D-Listed author Michael K. to thank him so much for reading and he wrote me back!
7. Meeting Joanna Lumley of “Absolutely Fabulous.” I’ve met thousands of celebrities in my life and Joanna Lumley has to be one of the nicest people I’ve ever encountered. I was fortunate enough to meet her on two occasions in 2010 and she remembered me!
8. Seeing Shepard Fairey make the “May Day” mural. I happened to be walking down to Bowery and Houston street in New York to see if Shepard Fairey’s mural was up and he was there making it when I walked by! He even allowed me to take a video clip of him putting the finishing touches on it!
9. Speaking at Pratt Institute. I got the opportunity to speak about my life and the art I love at Pratt Institute. I gave two 3 hour lectures and it was amazing!
10. Interpol’s Los Angeles outdoor concert. On vacation in Los Angeles, I found out that morning that Interpol were playing a secret show. I met lead singer Paul Banks. I think I got the first copy of Interpol’s brand new (at the time) album autographed and then I got to see the band perform outside in near perfect weather as the sun was setting.
There are hundreds of other amazing experiences not listed here. I’d like to thank all the people that have so graciously allowed me to take a photo with them. Famous our not, you are all superstars, according2g. I’d like to thank everyone for reading this site and for spreading the word. It means everything to me.
I cannot say what 2011 will bring other than I know my life will be different in 365 days from now. Only time will tell what that will mean, but I invite you to take that journey with me.
I hope 2011 brings you all the joy, peace, success and happiness the world has offer.