Massive Attack live at the Beacon Theatre

Posted by The G on October 22, 2010 under G Reviews | Comments are off for this article

Photos by G.

Robert Del Naja aka 3D of Massive Attack

I saw Massive Attack live for the first time earlier this year and I loved every second of it. After seeing them perform at the Beacon Theatre on October 21, 2010, I can honestly say that my opinion has not changed – they are so incredible live!  The stage setup was nearly identical to when I saw them at Terminal 5, but the major differences are the Beacon has assigned seating whereas Terminal 5 is general admission.  The night kicked off with an hour and a half tribal set from Thievery Corporation (more to come) and when Massive Attack took the stage around 11 pm, the crowd was ready to jam.  Massive Attack’s light show got better by the song as more colors were introduced, more lights were used and the patterns the lights were making was enough to induce a hallucinogenic state!  It also made me happy that Massive Attack’s Robert Del Naja turned up to the gig since I gave him directions yesterday and anyone that knows me can vouch for my terrible sense of direction.

Martina Topley-Bird

The entire evening was a highlight, but for the people that like to hear the hits, “Angel,” “Tear Drop,” and “Interia Creeps” were all played.  Surprisingly absent were “Karmacoma” and “Unfinished Sympathy,” but good news, they are playing the Beacon Theatre again on October 23, 2010, so if you missed the show tonight – cancel your plans and go see them!

Daddy G

See the setlist, after the jump.

Read more of this article »

Massive Attack live at Terminal 5

Posted by The G on May 12, 2010 under G Reviews | 16 Comments to Read

Photos by G.

Massive Attack

Propaganda, fog machines, trip hop and a laser light show sum up the night when New York was massively attacked by Massive Attack!  Playing their first of 2 sold-out shows at Terminal 5, May 11, 2010 is a day that I won’t be forgetting any time soon.  I’ve always liked Massive Attack’s music, but I had resisted seeing them perform live all these years because I didn’t imagine their stage show would be as impressive or as trippy as their music.  Plus, they don’t tour that often.  I couldn’t have been more foolish for missing their shows!  The LED screens behind the musicians changed from colorful light displays to inspiring quotes inviting a necessary revolution, the musicians and singers were all fantastic and the audience was loving every last second of it.  For once, the propaganda we were being forced to look at was stuff that I’ve been saying for years, so it was nice to see a band that is trying to make a difference in people’s lives by challenging them to wake up and realize we are totally getting screwed by the 1% of the population that rules over the other 99%.  Massive Attack members 3D (aka Robert Del Naja) and Daddy G (no relation to me and aka Grant Marshall) delivered the goods vocally and they also had a little help from Martina Topley-Bird (who was also the opening act) and two other singers whose names sadly escape me at the present moment.  They hit the stage at 9:50 PM and played until about 11:40 PM.  In addition to performing crowd favorites “Angel,” “Karmacoma,” “Teardrop” and “Mezzanine,” they also performed tracks off their new album Heligoland including “Psyche,” “Atlas Air” and “Splitting the Atom.”  If Massive Attack come to your town, I highly recommend you go see them – the show was incredible!  More pictures to come, so stay tuned.

3D aka Robert Del Naja of Massive Attack.

See more pictures and the set list after the jump.

Read more of this article »

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...