Remember that time that the legendary Tom Jones performed not in a massive theatre but inside the 500 person maximum venue Bowery Ballroom? I was there to capture all the action including this show highlight, a cover of Elvis Presley’s “One Night With You.” Sir Tom talks a little bit about Elvis before the song starts so hear what he has to say by pressing play!
The legendary Tom Jones dropped by legendary New York venue Bowery Ballroom on May 18, 2013 to showcase his latest album “Spirit In The Room.” Here are 10 observations from the show.
1. I am over 30 years of age and I was the youngest person in the room. By far. Possibly by 30 years.
2. Tom Jones is an amazing performer who deserves the praise he gets as he had the 500 person venue eating out of his hand for the entire show….
3. …despite playing only one of his greatest hits (“Green Green Grass of Home”) in the nearly 2 hour show.
4. All the die hard Tom Jones fans (some who I spoke with admitted to seeing him close to 1000 times) were delighted that he didn’t play any “hits.” The casual fans that came to see the hits walked away from the show bitter.
5. This was the first time I’ve ever seen people in walkers in the front row at Bowery Ballroom and as you know, I’ve been there hundreds of times.
6. Nobody threw panties or bras onto the stage. And for that, I am truly grateful!
7. Despite not playing his own hits, we heard covers of songs originally by Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Odetta, Paul McCartney, Tom Waits, Richard Thompson, Elvis Presley, Joe Henry and Leonard Cohen.
8. Tom Jones went on stage around 9:15 PM. He entered the building for the first time that day at 9:02 PM.
9. During a slow song, so many people in the audience took the opportunity to yell out “Play ‘Delilah’,” nearly drowning out Tom, but because he is the consummate performer, he overcame the audience jeers and when the song was over, got some of the loudest applause of the night.
I’ve been saying this for years and now someone whose voice can also make a difference is concurring! Love!
Tom Jones has spoken out against American I-Dull Judge Simon Cowell in an interview with The Daily Mirror. The icon has said ” I have problems when people who have never got up on a stage to sing judge those who do. Who are they to say? Simon Cowell is a record man, not a singer. How can someone give advice if he or she is not qualified? It’s like critics who criticise actors, never having been on a stage. Or having a teacher not experienced in teaching. There are loads of judges with experience in the record industry, but can’t sing. They may work for a record company, but to have stood where that person is standing is a unique thing. That’s the difference. It frustrates me when people comment on others singing when they haven’t actually been there themselves. You’ve got the shows with record executives, people who are listening for commercial reasons and whether someone will sell.”
Happy 70th birthday to singer Tom Jones! I saw him live last year and he was friggin’ amazing! His voice was flawless and yes, everyone threw panties at him (present company excluded). Many years ago, Tom Jones scored a hit with his cover of Prince’s “Kiss,” and it’s also Prince’s birthday today. Happy birthday to the man who doesn’t celebrate birthdays anymore!
Tom Jones Live at Terminal 5, New York 2/09. All photos by G.
What’s new pussycats? Tonight, the legendary Tom Jones makes a rare New York area appearance at the Beacon Theater.
I saw Mr. Jones earlier this year and he was incredible. In his 2 hour set, he did all his hits: What’s New Pussycat?, Delilah, It’s Not Unusual, Kiss, Help Yourself, She’s A Lady, Green Green Grass of Home, Thunderball, Sexbomb and lots of new material from his album “24 Hours.”
See more photos below, including a shot of all the bras and panties that were thrown at him during the show.